The COSHH Awareness Training Course is a half-day training course which looks at practical ways to address the issues and conduct suitable and substantive assessments of the levels of risk posed to individuals within the working environment.
The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (“COSHH”) Regulations 2002 place duties on employers to manage and control the use or production of substances in the workplace, to protect employees and others from harmful effects.
The COSHH Awareness Training course will specifically benefit everyone who is responsible for the management or supervision of people who operate or work in the environment which includes hazardous substances.
Training course aims and objectives
To raise awareness of the COSHH issues amongst organisational management teams, in order for them to contribute to the safer use of hazardous substances, by gaining the necessary theoretical and practical skills associated with managing, storing and documenting hazardous substances within their workplaces.
- Understand what is meant by the term hazardous substance.
- Understand how hazardous substances can cause ill-health.
- Understand the main provisions of the Regulations.
- Understand how to identify hazardous substances.
- Understand and apply the principles for controlling hazardous substances.
- Understand the value of a COSHH assessment.
Welcome and introduction to the course
- Aims and objectives
- UK occupational health statistics
Workshop 1 – Substances on site
- Definition of hazardous substances
- Routes of entry
- Hazard classification
- Risk and safety phrases
- Employers and employees’ duties
Controls of COSHH
- Adequate control
- Principles of good practice
- Hierarchy of control
- COSHH Assessments and the Manufacturers Safety Data Sheets
Workshop 2 – Produce a COSHH assessment
- Workplace Exposure Limits
- Common hazards (specific to client(s) including Dust, Silicosis and Dermatitis)
- Guidance – COSHH Essentials